Doing more on Mental Health
This article has been written not only to explain the benefits of managing wellbeing but to provide a solution to better manage Mental Health, as mental health is one of the greatest causes of sickness absence in the UK.
- 0.5 million workers suffering from work-related stress, anxiety and depression (new and long-standing) in 2016/17
- the annual cost of work-related injury and new cases of ill health in 2016/17 was £14.9 billion.
So why should you invest in doing more to prevent mental health problems in your organisation?… because each £1 invested in health and wellbeing is said to generate a return of between £1.50 and £9.
So What is mental health?
The mind.org.uk states:
In many ways, mental health is just like physical health: everybody has it and we need to take care of it.
Good mental health means being generally able to think, feel and react in the ways that you need and want to live your life.
But if you go through a period of poor mental health you might find the ways you’re frequently thinking, feeling or reacting become difficult, or even impossible, to cope with. This can feel just as bad as a physical illness, or even worse.
Are Current ways a solution?
It has been proved employees do not feel comfortable raising mental health issues, be it at work or home. When an employee is being asked direct questions even though these are designed to help, this can still be deemed as interrogation and may present the scenario they are guilty.
More is needed: I mean more than just posters placed around the office and bulk emails sent raising awareness. We also need to actively manage the cost impact businesses will face in raising awareness, creating campaigns, organising stand down days and one-to-one sessions.
How Safety PAL does it?
Safety PAL helps your business be the best it can be by:
- Providing accessible video tools to explain more about workplace stress and anxiety
- Reducing costs for businesses to manage mental health issues.
- A tool to allow all workers to get talking.
This video shows how our unique solution creates a passive experience for workers and gets your organisation a strong strategy in place.
Our approach is to ensure the worker is not met by resistance and welcomes the information intended to help.
Our brains are far more engaged by storytelling than a list of facts.
The business case for using Safety PAL
A happy workforce is a productive one, it’s this primary reason why Safety PAL has created a wellbeing management system that allows your business to:
- Create and communicate a mental health at work plan.
- Create mentally thriving workers.
- Give workers Mental Health tools available at work and home 24/7.
- Allow management to routinely monitor controlling risks in-line with regulations
- Convert each invested £1 to £9.
It couldn’t be simpler, Safety PAL could be operating in your organisation is just a few days, managing workers health and well-being effectively.
We only need to set up a 20-minute session.